Practical information

Studying abroad | Joint Faculties of Humanities and Theology

Information meeting before departure

Before your exchange period starts, you are invited to join one of the biannual Time to Go meetings in spring or autumn. During the meeting you will receive useful information about cultural meetings and cultural clashes; how to make use of your study abroad experience when you apply for a job; information about the Learning agreement; insurance and other practical matter as well as information about being a student ambassador abroad.


All outgoing students from Lund University are covered by Kammarkollegiet’s Student UT insurance. This covers most eventualities (robbery, accident, illness and emergency dental care, etc.) from the moment you get on the plane/train to when you are back in Lund. NB! It does not include cancellation insurance for your trip. You can obtain this via your home insurance, or by paying for the air ticket with a credit card, for example. Check with your bank and your insurance company to find out what conditions apply in your case. Make sure to read the small print in your insurance policy in good time before setting off. Remember that you must get a certificate of insurance from the International Office before your departure.

European Health Insurance card

If you are a Europaean citizens and are going to study at one of our European partner universities, do contact the Social Insurance office in your home country in good time and ask for a health insurance card. This entitles you to the same healthcare as all local residents in the country.

Financing your studies

As an exchange student you have many advantages. One important advantage is that you do not pay tuition fees at the host university. The usual procedure for Swedish citizens is to apply for student finance for studies abroad. If you are not a Swedish citizen you need to meet specific requirements to be able to apply for a loan. Forms and more information are available on the Centrala studiestödsnämndens (CSN) website. Remember that it is often practical to apply for student finance for two semesters at a time. Please also note that CSN will require a statement from the host university confirming your admission to study there and specifying for what period. An email is acceptable.

Erasmus grants

You will find all the information on Erasmus grants, application forms, amounts, payment dates, etc., here:Please note that you have to apply at least one month before your mobility period starts.

Extra money – scholarship advice

You may need more money while you are abroad. If you have the opportunity, it is a good idea to apply for other scholarships to cover extra costs. You can find tips on good sources of funding here.

More funding tips

See also Lund University’s website, which contains tips for outgoing students on the matter of funding.

Accommodation abroad

If your host university offer accommodation you normally apply for accommodation at the same time as you apply to the host university. If you obtain accommodation through the host university, you must be prepared for it to be of a simple standard, possibly a shared room or one with a bathroom and kitchen shared with other students. Sometimes meals are included in the rent, and sometimes you have to pay six months’ rent in advance. Renting a flat often requires a deposit and the duration of the rental contract does not always correspond to the semester dates. Always check this with the Housing Office at the host university. If the host university do not offer accommodation or if you are not offered a room it is your own responsibility to find a place to stay. The host universlty will normally be able to give you advice on where to look.